Author Topic: I'm still proud to be a taxi owner-Read all of this and Please join this debate  (Read 515 times)

Citytaxistreets

• View Profile
Walking back home to my apt I see a building person waiting for an Uber , I say hello and I say I own medallions, and He says he knows, and I say how much is surge , and he says Ill pay 20 bucks to get to work, I say goodbye , I was still proud to be a TAXI OWNER
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:15:38 PM by nyctaxinews »

YELLO

• View Profile
Re: I'm still proud to be a taxi owner / HAPPY THANKSGIVING
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 12:05:26 PM »
The taxi industry needs a PR campaign.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

YELLO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 12:08:12 PM »
The taxi industry needs a PR campaign.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

YELLO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 12:11:35 PM »
Given the state of the taxi industry I think we need a PR messaging and a broader marketing campaign to entice people to ride yellow again. In my opinion the public needs to know the reasons why they should ride/come back to yellow.  It simply is not compelling enough to say Real New Yorkers Ride Yellow! I know there was a digital campaign that touched on the relationship between yellow and UBER and how there is no surge pricing with the  yellow, but so much more needs to be done to get New Yorkers thinking about why they should ride yellow again.

Citytaxistreets

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 12:40:46 PM »
Totally agree , like today Uberís are more busy than taxis why, because people think they want something special, so they take black car, but thatís right itís just PR,

nyctaxinews

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 06:17:42 PM »
So this is a great idea. How are we going to fund it?

YELLO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 07:58:10 PM »
Anyone have any ideas?

YELLO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 08:14:17 PM »
We must unite now!

nyctaxinews

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 08:42:36 PM »
If $1000 was collected from 13000 taxis that would equal $13,000,000 

That would mean that not only individual owners have to put up $1000 each but fleet owners would have to match this with 1000x the number of taxis.

Doable? yes. Likely? Not very.

How do you unite all of the segments of the yellow industry for something like this?

May be it can be done for less money? How much would actually be needed?  How can this happen? Who will be in charge? Who will hold and distribute the money to get it done?

Who has the knowledge to get it done?

Answer those questions for real and may be it can happen, Other wise it is just wishful thinking!

« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 09:40:26 PM by nyctaxinews »

Citytaxistreets

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 07:58:14 AM »
We need a board of directors , let each potential board member submit his name and Nonrefundable one time payment

nyctaxinews

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 09:47:35 AM »
Who's holding the money? Has a legal fund been established? I would suggest that those of you in NY who want to organize hire legal assistance to find out how this is done legally. Also, what are the objectives of the fund? All of this has to be in writing and registered. You can't just ask for money.

Here are my suggestions for what the objectives should be, others should list others they can think of.

1.Return taxi rates along with the Curb and Arro Apps on all taxi doors.
2.Encourage that there be one app for all taxis.
3.Pass city council Intro 1740 for the additional car per medallion
4.Public out reach to encourage more ridership and request of Intro 1740 be passed
5. Demand that only Medallion taxis can pick up in the exclusionary zone that was established with the Borough taxi law. East side south of 96th Street and west side South of 110th Street.
6. A Fare Increase to adjust to the Consumer price index that has gone up 10% since the last increase in 2012
7. Removal of partitions and the very much hated "Taxi TV"

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 12:57:22 PM by nyctaxinews »

Citytaxistreets

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 11:28:52 AM »
To start the only guideline should be the value of medallion going up as the sole purpose of the org. , everything else can be voted on by board members after , only medallion owners are allowed to be board members.
We get a lawyer to handle the funds during the formation, and we keep discussing here until most principals  are generally agreed upon , then voted  on after the formation

nyctaxinews

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 11:51:08 AM »
Yes, the medallion going up is the objective. What I have listed are vital steps toward that goal.

Citytaxistreets

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 11:59:28 AM »
Ok  the organization shall be based solely on the principle of medallion values going up
Thatís all we need to start ? Everything else and endorsements   
gets voted on after itís formed ?

YELLO

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 12:54:09 PM »

Anyone intrested in meeting to discuss all of these ideas?

nyctaxinews

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 03:22:18 PM »
I'm not in NY but if I can be Skyped in I'm there.

Citytaxistreets

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 03:51:41 PM »
Iím In
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 03:54:08 PM by Citytaxistreets »

nyctaxinews

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 03:55:13 PM »
I have reconfigured this message board so 100 posts can be on one page. This is to eliminate any confusion. So if you think you missed anything re read the posts.

nyctaxinews

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 04:06:05 PM »
Concerning how people will get in touch without posting personal contact information you can send it to me and I can relay it to whom you want to contact.  Email
nyctaxinews@aol.com

Antieuba

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 11:15:49 AM »
There have been several organizations for Medallion owners that have come about since the war started.  The largest was and still is the New York City Taxi Medallion Owner Driver Association, started by Sohan Gill in 2015.  They have testified at City Council and TLC hearings, allied themselves with advocates for the disabled, held rallies on the steps of City Hall, participated in several ongoing lawsuits and attempt to represent the interests of the INDIVIDUAL medallion owner to the agencies and electeds who make the policies that we have to live with.  There are issues such as vehicle choice, inspection requirements, enforcement against illegal hails, wheelchair accessibility in black cars and others too numerous to go into.  Then thereís the coming tidal wave that Commissioner Joshi has promised of 35,000 ADDITIONAL app cars on the road this fiscal year, with all the congestion, pollution, crashes, reduction in speed, discouragement of the public using mass transit and huge financial losses to the city that those additional vehicles entail.

TMODA is a loose association of people who have likeminded interests and concerns.  Number one is protecting medallion values and income from said medallions.  TMODA has NEVER charged any fees.  If we want to go forward in a more impactful way that will have to change.  There will be a meeting in the very near future to determine if there is enough interest.

So stay tuned.  There will be an announcement as to when and where the meeting will take place.  Ask yourself if you are ready to commit money to this endeavor.  Yes we need PR, of course. 

In the meantime, get in touch with your city council person, the mayors office, the governors, etc.    Theyíve all said that they want to see numbers.  That they want to hear from us.

I also suggest when youíre on the nyctaxinews homepage, look on the left side.  There is a link to TMODA which has news, blog, videos, links to Facebook and Twitter. You can give them your contact information through the website.

As individuals, kvetching to each other may be therapeutic, but itís as a large united force that we can effect change.

WE ARE YELLOW, WE ARE NEW YORK, WE DESERVE BETTER!

www.nyctmoda.com

Citytaxistreets

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 11:25:10 AM »
How many members in your org? Does it have a board ? Who elects the board ? Does it have a President ? Why is it only for owner drivers as the name implies ?  What about owners that lease?
Are you registered as an legal entity in New York State , do you have bylaws?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 11:36:49 AM by Citytaxistreets »

Antieuba

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »
Youíre putting the cart before the horse.  TMODA is an association of likeminded individuals, volunteering their time and efforts.  Perhaps we can evolve into something more impactful.  Before you start worrying about structural issues letís see if there is enough interest to fund what will most likely be a 501(c)(6).  If there is not enough interest the money can simply be returned less minor expenses (like the fliers and venue rental).

Or are you offering to finance?  Weíd need about $3,000 just to set up the organization ie. Accounting and legal, fliers, hall rental for meeting.  Thereís no point in doing that unless people are willing to commit themselves to contributing on a monthly basis for, say, a year.  The figure that came up was $50 a month.  If we started with 100 members, thatís $5,000 a month.  Enough to get going, possibly funding part of the Taxi Dave Show is one idea but we would have to expand from there to do more.  With higher numbers of members the membership fee could be reduced.

We will have to have a BIG meeting first to decide on things like structure, board membership, finance, legal, accounting, policy goals, etc. Owners who drive, owners who lease, doesnít matter.  DONíT FORGET TO BRING YOUR CREDIT CARD!

Stay tuned.

Citytaxistreets

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2017, 03:47:19 PM »
Our goals are similar but your not inclusive to all Medallion owners like myself. I want a brand new org that includes all owners , whether they drive or not , which includes your org and any other organization that has the medallion as their number one priority
I want to vote for board members , I want to discuss throughly topic by topic right here in this website, I want a brand new name for this org thatís decided upon right here , I dont know any other forum that discusses medallion causes like this one , so this is where I want to start and gain momentum. WE NEED A BRAND NEW ORGANIZATION STARTING FROM SCRATCH THATS ALL INCLUSIVE , tell your members to begin participating in this discussion, putting in their thoughts on issues , itís right here right now we need to start , this is a form of tech, tech is where we need to be.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 03:52:34 PM by Citytaxistreets »

Citytaxistreets

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2017, 05:25:07 PM »
Respond , your medallion is at stake!!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 05:44:04 PM by Citytaxistreets »

nyctaxinews

• Administrator
    • View Profile
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL- ALL PARTIES SHOULD GET TOGETHER AND BE ONE. WE MUST FIGHT SIDE BY SIDE. 

Citytaxistreets

• View Profile
What does that mean ? Are you with us or by yourselves, I cannot feel ok in your org , I am a medallion owner who doesnít drive , but totally respects those that do , we need a new beginning letís go ! 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:52:39 PM by Citytaxistreets »

Antieuba

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Amen brother! A medallion owner who drives or a medallion owner who leases out his medallion(s) are welcome to join TMODA.  Go to the website and sign up.  Itís free!

nyctaxinews

• Administrator
    • View Profile
TMODA-Count me in!

meter peter

• View Profile
There is no way to save the taxi industry. Owner drivers are dropping like flies. The large fleets will survive but with thousands on the shelf and retiring cabs on the way to the shelf rather than buy an accessible cab. The taxi of tomorrow mandate,taxi tv,partitions and huge fees will add up. We are going.

nyctaxinews

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Not so fast peter!

Citytaxistreets

• View Profile
I was an owner driver.
Interests are common as owner drivers become owners that lease. A united force is stronger, more members in one org compared to less in many. One org can have a concentration of resources rather than divided up in different groups. In a factory setting, a union representing all the workers is stronger than many unions representing different groups . One union representing all of us that includes reps from any other Medallion owner group. We are fighting the toughest fight we have ever had , so we must come together because we are all brothers and we must put down our minor differences.
A proposal that medallion owners agree upon has a better chance with one voice than many and more potent. I vote for one org representing all segments of the industry.

taxitalk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
If...

'Ifs & Ands were pots and pans, the world would be a kitchen !!'

We don't need THOUSANDS of wackos whining all the time...
we just need a small group of dedicated followers here
who care... imo.

"JFK MIKE"   8)

Citytaxistreets

• View Profile
We need more than that! 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:22:00 PM by Citytaxistreets »

Taxi Son

• View Profile
Regarding funding, I think the difficulty is that many medallion owners are struggling, especially those that don't drive anymore. So they may not be very helpful in funding. I think the Go Fund Me idea is a good one. The biggest problem is that Uber is a central entity with a marketing budget. Yellows are a disparate group of small businesses. We can never match the budget that they have.

Honestly, I think NYC tourism should really conduct a marketing campaign for the yellow cabs, though it is probably not likely given the disdain the government obviously has for the industry. The image of a yellow cab is synonymous with New York and should be promoted as an icon. Travelers that have not been to NY before would love to know that they can step out of the airport and grab a licensed yellow cab that is not going to rip them off, or worse. We spend so much on tourism marketing, that this should just naturally be included. Whichever NYC department is in charge of promoting small businesses should also be taking on that campaign. Maybe instead of 50 cents for the MTA, make it 40 cents for the MTA and 10 cents for a yellow cab initiative. The TLC is a lost cause, but maybe these other agencies or the City Council can be of help.

I work in the city and it drives me crazy when I hear someone say they are going to grab an Uber. I tell them, why not get a yellow? The answer is usually something along the lines of I can never find one when I need it, or I don't want to have to look for one, etc. If we could let the people of NY know that yellows are easy to find, and call by app they might think differently. Maybe we can use stats like how many yellows are on the road mid day. Using GPS data, maybe we can have a site that shows how many are on the road right now. Maybe we get the word out on where all the taxi stands are. Somehow we need to offer one time incentives for using yellow cabs (remember, many Uber riders are not paying the full fare because of all of the coupon codes).

We should be sharing stories about drivers and owners on social media. Get people connected to the industry. The industry is so diverse and there are so many great stories about how it has helped people achieve the American dream. My father came here, drove for years, saved up and bought his medallions. They put me, my brother and sister through college. these are the stories that will get New Yorkers to remember yellow cabs.

I work in Marketing. I am happy to contribute ideas and I have more of them. I am happy to put in the effort, write copy, help plan campaigns, etc. if there is a way for us to get the message out.

nyctaxinews

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I think having a web site that shows how many yellows are on the road at any given time is a great idea. How can that be achieved?

I also  think publicity is as important as any other idea. Perhaps inexpensive pamphlets can be produced and volunteers can hand them out to people at the bus station and airports and the train station.

The entire general public has to somehow know that taxis have Apps. This would help those who say they can't find a taxi. The extra taxi for each medallion should be specifically for App calls. 

taxitalk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I am PROUD to be a cabbie
who's been fortunate enough to work for PROUD taxi owners -
and have avoided the numerous SH-T STAIN 'taxi owners'
 like the freggin' plague THAT THEY ARE !!

THANK YOU to all the RIGHTEOUS taxi owners who keep us rolling !! 

PS - HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!   *<;D

Citytaxistreets

• View Profile
hey thanks , what's good for me is good for you , its peanuts the lease amount compared to how lucrative taxi driving could be  if it wasn't for the numerous black cars , drivers could be earning right now 100 bucks more a night and more , at least , if that was the case, owners would have all their cabs out and drivers would be having fun, owners and drivers have an unbelievable amount in common
and by the way I've met you !!!! do you remember , and if you don't I'm not reminding you !!!

Taxi Son

• View Profile
I think having a web site that shows how many yellows are on the road at any given time is a great idea. How can that be achieved?

I also  think publicity is as important as any other idea. Perhaps inexpensive pamphlets can be produced and volunteers can hand them out to people at the bus station and airports and the train station.

The entire general public has to somehow know that taxis have Apps. This would help those who say they can't find a taxi. The extra taxi for each medallion should be specifically for App calls.

Does anyone have any contact with the people at Curb or Arro. I imagine that they have this information and would be happy to make it available.