Author Topic: Suicides Get Taxi Drivers Talking: ‘I’m Going to Be One of Them’  (Read 98 times)

YELLO

• View Profile
One bill aims to help taxi medallion owners saddled with massive debt. Corey Johnson, the Council speaker, said the city was considering several measures to do that, including a partial bailout or a hardship fund for medallion owners who drive their taxis — not for large-scale owners like Michael Cohen, President Trump’s former lawyer who with his wife owned more than 30 medallions.

“For the smaller individual medallion owners, what can we do to help them get out from under this crushing debt?” Mr. Johnson said in an interview, adding that the Council should vote on the bills by the end of the year. “We’re trying to figure out a way to do that.”
At 70, Harbans Singh still works 12-hour shifts in his taxi to pay off his medallion debt. Mr. Singh said he was not interested in counseling, adding that he relied on his Sikh faith.

“We don’t need counseling from the T.L.C.,” he said in reference to the city’s Taxi and Limousine Commission, which oversees the industry. “I don’t trust the T.L.C.”

Marlow Pierre, a taxi driver who leases his medallion, said the best solution would be to further restrict Uber.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/02/nyregion/suicides-taxi-drivers-nyc.amp.html&ved=0ahUKEwjckeHvsujdAhXrhOAKHcjkCCoQyM8BCCQwAA&usg=AOvVaw0BlkOIm1lvhy0Ochnhj8P2&ampcf=1

Antieuba

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Suicides Get Taxi Drivers Talking: ‘I’m Going to Be One of Them’
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 07:54:34 AM »
A few facts.

NYC sold a franchise to medallion owners, the right to pick up passengers on demand.

NYC promoted the sale and set the price of the franchise, aka taxi medallion, at $850,000 at the last medallion auction in 2014.

NYC took the money.

NYC kept the money.

NYC spent the money.

Then NYC went on to ignore rule 54-04(a)(4) which states that the NYC TLC has an obligation to protect the economic stability of its licensees.

In fact, the TLC has done everything in its power to undermine the value of the franchise by allowing unlimited numbers of for hire vehicles, affiliated with an international corporate predator, funded by vast amounts of venture capital.

Refusing to accept responsibility for the debacle they caused, the TLC seeks to obfuscate by blaming banks, medallion owners and lack of mental health counseling.

It’s well past time for the city to step up and take responsibility.

Taxiwerker

• View Profile
Re: Suicides Get Taxi Drivers Talking: ‘I’m Going to Be One of Them’
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 10:12:35 AM »
I ......Agree 100 Percent......Can You SMELL ........

Payola
Bribes
Kickback's
Hidden Stock Transfers
Future Job Promises
Angry Former Mayor " B "
Among Many Many Other ways  how The Demise Continues