Author Topic: An Uber driver threw himself in front of a Manhattan subway train this week  (Read 188 times)

YELLO

• View Profile
Uber, which said he worked for the company since 2013, disputed that Luna had money trouble; he was a highly-rated driver with consistent earnings over time — and owned his vehicle, which was paid for in full, the company said.

“We are devastated by this news and our deepest sympathies go to Mr. Luna’s family and loved ones during this difficult time,” said Uber spokeswoman Alix Anfang.
At a TLC meeting on Wednesday, driver Raul Rivera argued that the city could have prevented the recent suicides.

“Everyone wants to blame Uber and Lyft for the horrible suicides and the crazy mess that the taxi industry is in today,” Rivera said. “If you ask me who’s to blame, I blame the city. I blame the city council, I blame the TLC for letting the ride-sharing apps do as they please with zero oversight.”

“If another driver takes their life before you do the right thing, I will personally start a petition to have the TLC reformed and have the TLC chairperson removed,” he declared.

A community vigil, organized by the New York Taxi Workers Alliance, will be held in Luna’s memory at 2 p.m. Sunday, starting at 175th Street and Fort Washington Avenue.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/06/uber-driver-who-jumped-in-front-of-train-was-deeply-in-debt/

YELLO

• View Profile
An angry mob of mourners at a Sunday vigil for a cash-strapped Uber driver who committed suicide last week called the head of the city’s Taxi and Limousine Commission a “murderer” as she left the solemn ceremony.

“Murderer! Murderer!” yelled one of about ten people ― made up of for-hire drivers and other union members ― who pursued TLC Commissioner Meera Joshi away from the Washington Heights vigil for tragic Uber driver Fausto Luna.

"You don’t have no heart,” another driver shouted.

Joshi said she stopped by the tribute to pay respects to Luna’s grieving relatives, but turned to leave when she realized the family wasn’t there, and the crowd started to turn on her.

The crowd tailed Joshi and an aide for a block before she disappeared into the 175th Street A-train station ― the same station where Luna, 58, leaped in front of an oncoming train last Monday.

The TLC disputed that Joshi was chased away from the event, and blamed the misunderstanding on a small group co-opting what was supposed to be a solemn memorial.

“A group of individuals with a very different agenda hijacked the vigil with some of the most hateful and divisive language I’ve ever heard,” said TLC spokesman Allan Fromberg. “When it became clear that their activities wouldn’t allow for anyone to say or hear any constructive messages, we left so as not to allow this group to continue to detract from the unity that by all rights should have been at the center of the event.”

https://nypost.com/2018/10/07/cash-strapped-uber-drivers-suicide-leads-to-anger-at-vigil/

YELLO

• View Profile
Meera Joshi, the city’s taxi commissioner, urged drivers who are struggling to reach out to the city for help.

“That is the forefront of the issue, is making sure people know how to reach out for help,” she said at the vigil.

But, she added: “It’s convenient to blame a person, and if I need to be the subject of people’s anger, that’s fine. I can take it. It doesn’t bother me, but I don’t know that it really addresses the fundamental underpinnings of the situation that drivers are finding themselves in now.”

Her advice, however, did not seem to resonate with some vigil attendees, who shouted at her. A few of them blamed her for the recent suicides, and some cursed at her as she walked away and then disappeared into the subway station.

The vitriol became so intense that Allan Fromberg, a spokesman for the taxi commissioner, acted as a bodyguard for Ms. Joshi as she left.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/07/nyregion/uber-driver-suicide-for-hire-taxis-new-york.amp.html&ved=0ahUKEwi4r5Gw9PXdAhXLs1kKHTKyCa8QyM8BCCQwAA&usg=AOvVaw0mcTqql2tFWaYdzUl-pHQ9&ampcf=1

YELLO

• View Profile
Joshi made a quick retreat as the crowd — which included a man in a yellow “Meera…You’re Fired!” T-shirt, and demonstrators carrying signs saying “TLC Meera Joshi responsible for six suicides,” likely printed before Luna’ death — followed her to the subway stop, shouting and chanting.

One driver, Osvaldo Guzman, interrupted TLC spokesman Allan Fromberg as he spoke to reporters, telling him he was hit with a $1,500 ticket. When Fromberg shot back, “And what did you do for that ticket? What did you do?” the 53-year-old driver said he was caught in a “TLC trap” and told Fromberg, “You have been doing nothing!”

Fromberg stood between the protesters and Joshi as she headed down the subway stairs, pointing his finger and saying, “You’re doing this for politics.”

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-metro-vigil-for-taxi-driver-turns-tense-after-tlc-head-arrives-20181007-story.html%3FoutputType%3Damp&ved=0ahUKEwjZ9o3KlPfdAhXqdN8KHfRLAeMQyM8BCEIwBg&usg=AOvVaw1eW0TL1yQyJ0FYYOnGMzoh&ampcf=1

Taxiwerker

• View Profile
It MAY GET WORST.....!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 02:04:19 PM »
Huh......Your Doing This For POLITICS...???

Real Nice Guy....Bet He will be Going to Ubah Soon....

Grow SOME BALLS Meera....BAN the APPS PERIOD...Or IS IT Too LATE NOW.....

The APPS Will Go To DRIVERLESS CARS Mark My WORDS....They WANT 100 Percent and DL Cars RUN 24 / 7 / 365 Days a YEAR...!!!!

UNLESS THOSE ARE BANNED ....PS......If THAT Happens SUICIDES Will BE DAILEY.....!!!!!!

YELLO

• View Profile
Media/Press Inquiries:
Allan J. Fromberg
Deputy Commissioner for Public Affairs
Email: press (at) tlc.nyc.gov

YELLO

• View Profile
Allan Fromberg owes us an apology.

YELLO

• View Profile
I want to say "Thank you" to the man in the yellow hat and T-shirt.

YELLO

• View Profile
TLC spokesman Allan Fromberg disputed the idea that Joshi was chased away. He and Joshi left the vigil after a group of people "with a very different agenda ... essentially hijacked it with some of the most hateful and divisive language I've ever heard," he said.

"When it became clear that their bullying tactics wouldn't allow for anyone to say or hear any constructive messages, we left so as not to allow this group to continue to detract from the unity that by all rights should have been at the center of the event," Fromberg said in an email. "Under no circumstances, however, does this in any way diminish our commitment to drivers, or dissuade us from the work we're doing to help them."

Desai called Joshi's attendance at the vigil a "really positive gesture." The drivers were expressing understandable anger at the TLC at an emotionally raw time for the industry, Desai said, but Uber and other big companies are also to blame for the difficulties drivers face.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/amp/27760141/nyc-taxi-commissioner-chased-vigil-uber-drivers-suicide&ved=0ahUKEwjB_LD21PndAhVQrFMKHaxAAXIQyM8BCCQwAA&usg=AOvVaw20C4McSVE4IRRXVLWMVUPZ&ampcf=1

Antieuba

• Administrator
    • View Profile
As Desai explains it:

“It’s a sign of how palpable the frustration is among drivers.  I think that a lot of people blame the TLC for the oversaturation of cars, but they don’t actually realize that the TLC didn’t have the authority -that that was all on the city council.  I really appreciate that she came,  I think it took a lot of courage and compassion to come.”

In other words let’s put some more lipstick on this pig and get going on the driver health plan, possibly to be administered by TWA.